Revlon ColorStay Foundation Combination/Oily skin – Review & swatches

Revlon ColorStay Foundation Combination/Oily skin – Review & swatches

Monday, November 28, 2011 Sara Hassan , 46 Comments

Revlon ColorStay foundation has been on my wish list for years. It delighted my eye to spot it on Just4girls.pk but I really had a hard time choosing the right shade for myself online!

Revlon ColorStay Foundation Combination/Oily skin SPF 6
Wears up to 16 hours
Gives a flawless look and lightweight feel.

To use
Shake well and then apply to one area at a time, blending quickly.
Remove with facial cleanser.
Apply prior to sun exposure.

Revlon ColorStay Foundation in Golden Beige
Revlon ColorStay Foundation in Golden Beige
Revlon ColorStay Foundation Combination/Oily skin (swatch)
Revlon ColorStay Foundation - Golden Beige comparison with L'Oreal True Match - Golden Beige
Revlon ColorStay Foundation - Golden Beige comparison with L'Oreal True Match - Golden Beige
Revlon ColorStay Foundation - Golden Beige comparison with L'Oreal True Match - Golden Beige
Revlon ColorStay Foundation Combination/Oily skin (before & after application)
My thoughts
I was a little confused at first. I placed an order for Revlon ColorStay Foundation with Soft flex on the store but I got Revlon ColorStay Makeup foundation instead. I checked out Revlon’s official website to see if it was there but it wasn’t; only the Soft Flex version was available. Honestly, I was a little disappointed because this was not what I had ordered.

Anyway, first I went to Google Translate to translate the foreign words – Fond De Teint, Base de maquillage, Para rostro. They’re French for ‘foundation’, Portuguese for ‘make-up base’ and Spanish ‘for face’ respectively. Since it wasn’t there on Revlon’s website, I got a little skeptical so I checked the description written behind this foundation for the supplier’s address. Gladly, I found that address on Revlon’s official website (Revlon Consumer Products Corp). Therefore, Revlon ColorStay Fond de Teint/Foundation is undoubtedly an ORIGINAL but old version which has no Soft Flex formula in it. I also found it on makeup alley so I was completely relieved. The story might have bored you but it was necessary to remove your doubts.

Coming to the review now. As I mentioned before, I had to choose the shade online which was a very very difficult task. After going through numerous reviews, finally it narrowed down to two shades; Golden Beige and Warm Golden. For reference I kept L’Oreal True Match Foundation W3 Golden Beige (which matches my NC30 skintone perfectly) in mind so I went for the same shade in Revlon’s.

I went for Golden Beige because I read somewhere that it’s the MOST yellow-based foundation in the ColorStay range. Although Warm Golden is a tone darker than Golden Beige, it is not as yellow comparatively. I also had my eyes on Natural Tan but someone said it was for NC 40 so I dropped it. Golden Beige in ColorStay is almost my match BUT it doesn’t go well with my yellow undertones and appears slightly pinkish under the sunlight. Anything with pink tones is supposed to brighten up the skin so even though the shade matches me, it unnecessarily brightens up my skin and appears like a mismatch. On the other hand, True Match is golden beige with yellow undertone which doesn’t appear that way.

My first impression about Golden Beige was that I’ve found a perfect match for myself. When I first applied it, it didn’t seem unnatural on me indoor. But when I went outside to check it under natural light, I could tell where I had applied it because it appeared pinkish on the yellow undertones of my skin. If Golden Beige is supposed to be the most yellow-based foundation in this range, I’m sorry to say it’s not enough for an Asian skintone like mine. I tested if I could mix it with my other foundations and make the undertone match me. I tried to neutralize the pink with my compact powder but it didn’t work. I used a sun-kissed bronzer to cancel the pink but that was giving me a tanned look. I mixed it with True Match but it didn’t help much either. However, the undertone mismatch isn’t noticeable at all in the photos or if I use it in the night time. It’s only visible under the day light so I suppose it works as a night time foundation for me.

Before getting to the good points, I'd like to highlight the obvious cons; a. This foundation comes without a pump and b. It’s not odor-free. The scent is unpleasant and the constant smell kinda gets annoying for my nose to bear all day. I wish it had no odor like a regular foundation. It also doesn’t come with a pump so I have to be extra careful not to spill it.

The formula is thick in consistency (a good point since it has no pump). They’re right when they say; apply it to one area at a time because if you dot it on to your face like a cream and then begin blending, you’d make a BIG mistake! It wouldn’t blend well because it dries FAST and would stick to the area where you apply it, for that you need to apply it to small areas of your face and be very quick with blending. A kabuki brush would be the best choice in my opinion. I pour small amount of it on my Sedona Lace kabuki brush and apply it on one area at a time. This way, it blends in nicely. You could also use a light moisturizer or a primer if you still face issues with blending. If you don’t own a kabuki brush, you can use your fingers but apply ONLY to one area at a time.

I LOVE the coverage I get with this foundation! It gives a medium to full coverage with a semi-matte finish (neither dewy nor completely matte or cakey). The coverage is SO good that it hides my redness, flaws and blemishes perfectly. It evens out my skin beautifully. I’d compare the coverage to Kryolan TV paint stick, it’s really amazing! When I apply it, it doesn’t feel heavy on my skin but I won’t consider it entirely lightweight. I don’t know what would be the right term to explain that but it feels a little tacky before it completely dries. I am not saying that it feels heavy on my skin, it’s just that initially I feel I’ve something on my face so to deal with that, I dab my compact powder/translucent powder and it’s gone.

The lasting power is AHMAZING! I’ve never seen any foundation with such a great lasting ability. It is made for hot and humid climate like Karachi’s. No sweat or water would budge it. And the best part about this foundation is that it NEVER gets cakey. When I layer it, I feel like I’ve a thin film of plastic over my face but it doesn’t show up as a thick ugly layer. Mind you, even that thin layer won’t come off easily. You need to use a good cleanser to completely remove it. I didn’t get any breakouts only because I cleanse my face well every time I use it as it does tend to clog pores.

I can’t say if it wears for 16 hours but I’ve personally tested it for up to six hours (without any primer underneath) and I didn’t notice it getting oxidized or transfer anywhere like L’Oreal True Match Foundation. It also didn’t turn my face greasy so I never had to set it with a compact powder.

My final verdict about this product is that it’s a great foundation for combination to oily skin types and for those who are living in hot and humid climatic conditions. It might not work for you if you have a dry surrounding because you may find it difficult to blend. Even though it gives full coverage, for acne prone skin, it will not completely hide them so you need to use a concealer for that matter (it would conceal scars/blemishes/spots but not red pimples or acne). I also think it works better as a night time foundation for me considering the coverage and the undertone difference.

For Pakistani skin tones, I guess you don’t get much of a choice with the shades if you have a yellow undertone. Golden Beige, Warm Golden and Natural Tan are the only ones with yellow undertones while other shades are pink-based. So yeah, it’s hard to choose your right shade without testing.

Would I repurchase? Despite all the cons, I might repurchase it. I used this foundation in many of my looks. You can find one here.

You might like it if…
  • You have combination/oily skin type.
  • You live in a hot & humid climate.
  • You want a medium to full coverage.
  • You want a foundation that lasts longer without transferring.
  • You’re looking for a foundation that doesn’t oxidize.
  • You want a foundation with SPF.
  • You want a foundation that doesn’t accentuate dryness (combination/oily skin)
You might not like it if…
  • The odor bothers you.
  • You find it difficult to blend.
  • You wish it came with a pump.
  • It clogs your pores.
My rating
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-k9pvc7-MFlg/Ti7Ey2nCQdI/AAAAAAAAB5A/vAOA9RcLgyE/s1600/4.jpg 
4/5

I purchased it from Just4girls.pk for PKR 1645.

Have you tried Color Stay Foundation? What's your favorite?

46 comments :

  1. Loved the detail review. I was honestly contemplating whether to buy this foundation or not. But since this doesn't come with a pump and you really have to work your way to blend it, i think i'm gonna skip this one cuz' i really want a foundation that's quick to apply and easy to blend..

    I would give this review a thumbs up for honesty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this in "natural tan",although its dark for my skin tone.I still bought it b/c i wanted to try the colorstay line.(they only had it in one color). I have also tried the "Revlon colorstay light make up" with SPF 25. (the one in a tube).I like it better than this one for my oily/combo skin.
    Nice review:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the best foundation as i ever used. I have no. 330 natural tan and for the winter i buy - warm golden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how is natural Tan? Is it suitable for Asian tan skin tone?

      Delete
    2. I've found natural tan to be too pink on my skin. I wear nc40 in Mac and although Natural Tan is the right shade its the wrong undertone. Had they made Natural Tan with a yellow base it would be perfect

      Delete
    3. I agree with Dollie Daze...
      I'm NC 35/37, bought at first the "Natural Tan" shade. It appeared orange on my skin. Later, I've bought the "True Beige" shade. It is still orange/pink.
      It's a great foundation, with bad undertones...
      And the lack of a pump is horrible (never found one that fits. Not Mac's, nor Nars, neither Sephora) ...

      Delete
  4. Great review Sara, a great foundation that stays on for hours and is matte! sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to buy this for a long time. But after the disappointment from Neutrogena liquid foundation; I lost my faith in all the liquid ones. Maybe they just don't suit me. Though seeing it on here in bright spotlight, it's tempting me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. really nice review sara :) i have wantin g to try this out since i have oily skin and its pretty hard to find something that matches my skin colour! haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. This is my current foundation which I am using and what I do is that I mix my day time moisturizer with little bit of this foundation on palm and i mix it both with my finger and dab it on my face and then spread it all nicely all over my face and neck. Its a great foundation and revlon is best known for the foundations they have. And I know what u mean with the whole online shopping for a new foundation. I bought a loreal true match concealer and it was one shade lighter then my skin tone which made me look like a ghost LOL. All that money wasted so from that on i promised myself that i will never try to buy a foundation/ concealer online XD.

    http://crazypoplock.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have very pretty skin! The foundation looks fab

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been able to find an acceptable color match in this formula, which makes me sad because it's supposed to be a great dupe for Studio Fix Fluid. Aah well. As usual, you look lovely and it really is your perfect match!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice review Sara..Very detailed and helpful. have you tried the concealer of their range ? After your review, I think I will definitely get it now. Was not sure previously. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Prachi,thanks sweetie :) Well, I haven't tried the concealer yet. Maybe I will go for it in future :)

    @Eden, this is my match but still doesn't go well with my undertone if I build it to full coverage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok Sara..I am going to pick it up soon. When I review, will share it with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish more prod by REVLON were easily available at stores in Pak.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This must be your longest review O_O
    I like the fact that this a good summer foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was helpful review sara... I want to get one and i m worried about shades

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was so keen on buying this for myself having heard everyone raving about it but ordering the wrong shade kinda freaks me out:/
    nice detailed review now I know what pointers to keep in mind while shopping for this!:) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. long awaitedd review!!! thanks. it was great reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i really want to try this foundation! i heard from a makeup guru it was great for a dewy look. :)

    http://sabatr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, this is definitely a detailed review!
    I'm pretty scared buying foundation/concealer/BB Cream online just because it's really hard to match a shade. :( &, considering undertones, it becomes even harder!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved reading this post. Really helped me a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love reading your reviews. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It does look amazing on you:) But i cant stand the strong scent it has

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also find the same worry about Colorstay, I really like it, and looks blended and natural indoor but it looks slightly pinkish and too warm on my skin when I go outdoor under natural light. Which is a worry...

    Surprisingly I don't mind the scent, it's just the color, sadly... can't seem to find the right match. I'm about NC25 (winter) NC30 (summer)

    ReplyDelete
  24. i m totally sold..buying this next...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice and honest review. This bottle should have a pump, it is the biggest turn off for me when a foundation is not hygienic to use!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh my!! i have been wanted to get this foundation for like ages, but cant pick a shade for my skintone!! oh it's too frustrating that there is not any official coutnter if revlon in lahore!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am currently looking to buy thsi foundation as I have heard it is one of the best drugstore foundations, I not a huge fan of liquid foundation but seen that they now offer the colorstay foundation in a whipper cream formual. Do you think this would be the same formula as the liquid version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kassie, I am afraid I have no clue about the whipped cream formula since I haven't tried it however you can google for some reviews. I am sure that would help :) x

      Delete
  28. i am so happy!!! finally, i got this foundation but i am mor happy because the shade i got(warm golden) matches me more than perfectly!! it would not have been without your great review sara!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Amy. I'm glad it worked for you x

      Delete
  29. helo sara, kindly advise me about the perfect shade of this!! i have dry skin and same as ur skin tone NC 30 n between NC 25! i bought true beige and sand beige which dont go best i purchased them in hurry :(
    as i have dry skin the main disadvantage is they both come in different shades as of oily and dry formulas. which would be best shade of dry skin in comprison with golden beige? :( your help would be higly appreciated! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Asma, I am really sorry but I can't suggest a shade to you. I wouldn't want your money to go waste because of my suggestion as I haven't seen other shades in person. Please google for swatches and reviews, I'm sure that would help :) xx

      Delete
  30. hello sara how should i choose my skin tone color for the foundations like revlon colorstay for oily skin and bourjois 123 perfection... how should i know that which shade suits me perfectly kindly helppp me out through this problem coz i never got the right shade for my skin type... i had a weatish complexion but not soo much weatish it comes after two tone fairer shade and i also had a dark circle and blemish problem...so guide me correctly...it would be very nice of u :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Zara, please checkout my post on Seven Foundation Mistakes To Avoid in the Guide section on this blog to get some tips as to how you can choose your right match. I'm sure that would help :) xx

      Delete
  31. Helo sara tabi here sara can u plz tell me which foundation should i use ? I have very fair color but oily skin too i was using kryolan ivory but now i am facing pimples and dark spots..should i use revlon colorstay ivory? Plz plzzz advice..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tabi, you can through the post on Drugstore Foundations For Combination/Oily Skin on this blog for suggestions. You can find it in the Beauty Guide section. ColorStay isn't suitable for daily usage. Hope this helps. :) x

      Delete
  32. Thank u so much for rply but sara I dont use foundation daily,i use it off n on.what would u suggest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try Bourjois 123 Perfect Foundation (it's really good for combo/oily skin since it sets to a matte finish). For more suggestions, please go through the post on Drugstore Foundations For Combination/Oily Skin in the Beauty Guide section. :) xx

      Delete
  33. Hey Sara what is review for colour stay aqua mineral liquid foundation ? Never used before so bit confuse

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment. Your lovely comments make my day. <3

Please avoid rude or inappropriate comments. Also, this is the comments section. No queries will be entertained unrelated to the post.

For queries, please write to info@sarahassansblog.com.

NOTE: Comments with LINKS will NOT be entertained. Thank you. :)