MUA Matte Foundation – Review & swatches

MUA Matte Foundation – Review & swatches

Friday, May 25, 2012 Sara Hassan , 19 Comments
MUA Matte Foundation in ‘Honeycomb’

So glad we finally have MUA in Pakistan officially. The brand is getting very popular among makeup lovers – things went out of stock as soon as the news hit. I also got myself two products to try and here’s my take on the MUA Matte Foundation.

MUA Matte Foundation
A creamy texture that blends beautifully for that perfect velvet finish and long lasting matte complexion

Available in three shades

MUA Matte Foundation in ‘Honeycomb’
MUA Matte Foundation in ‘Honeycomb’
MUA Matte Foundation in ‘Honeycomb’ (swatch)
MUA Matte Foundation in ‘Honeycomb’ (swatch)
MUA Matte Foundation in ‘Honeycomb’ (swatch)
My thoughts
I went for Honeycomb because I didn’t have a choice; there are just three shades to choose from. The shade range is extremely narrow I must say but gladly I could spot a close match for myself. Honeycomb is slightly lighter than L’Oreal True Match Foundation in Golden Beige. As you can see, it’s yellow based so suits my skin tone quite well.

It was my sister who pushed me into getting this, firstly because of the cheap price tag and secondly because it boasts a velvet matte finish. Since heat is all the rage in Karachi and a shine free finish is very much desirable in this season, we both were pretty excited to try this. The moment we put it on, we both went speechless! This foundation is by no means ANYTHING close to a matte foundation. The finish is extremely greasy and made us look awfully shiny even in dim lights of the room. Yes, it was a shock!

The consistency is okay, not runny or thick. I apply it with my fingers and get a medium coverage with two to three layers. It appears quite pigmented at first but when you spread it, it seems to offer a medium coverage only. It’s a pain to blend it because it doesn’t spread on easily and appears streaky. I suppose that's because it sticks onto the skin so you have to be patient if you want to blend it in perfectly. However, the sticking ability makes it somewhat 'transfer-resistant'.

A word of caution, don’t forget to set it with a compact powder. No way can you blend your blush over the sticky surface; you will end up with a patchy application. I don't have large pores but the consistency is as such that I suppose it will sink into large pores and make them look like craters.

As much as I didn’t want to wear this to work, I still tested it, paired with a compact powder to see if I get a long lasting matte complexion as it claims. Well I didn't; the gloop on my face returned after merely two hours. Need I say more?

Overall, I just have to say that it didn’t work for me perhaps because I was expecting it to be a matte foundation. I don't find it suitable for combination or oily skin type considering the humidity levels of Karachi. As for dry to normal skin types, it works as quite a heavy moisturizer; it would be hard to blend and wear alone without setting.

You might like it if…
  • You have a dry skin type.
  • You want a medium coverage foundation.
  • You expect it to give a glow to your face.
You might not like it if…
  • You expect a matte finish.
  • You expect an easy blending.
  • You have a combination or an oily skin type.
  • You have large pores and find it sinking into them.
  • You don’t set it with a compact powder.
  • You can’t find your match.
My rating
1.5/5

Makeup Academy (MUA) Matte Foundation is priced PKR 350 and can be purchased from Just4girls.pk. You can also purchase from MUA's website.

What do you think about it? Have you tried anything from MUA yet?

19 comments :

  1. You're so lucky! You have brands like MUA and Sleek in your country! Can't wait till they reach this side of the subcontinent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this review is so helpful,you save my Rs.350:)thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I was actually waiting for this foundation to be in stock at just4girls and I was about to buy it. Thank you for your review - it will go out of my basket now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I love matte finish so this product is not for me =) love the review sara!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the review Sara.... This product is not for me.. :)..glad that I didn't buy

    ReplyDelete
  6. i tried this when it came out here in the UK and i probably used it once or twice! its blends really badly plus its not amazing for combanation to oily skin types!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew this foundation was terrible! ekk it sounds like a nightmare in a bottle

    ReplyDelete
  8. i dint see any difference in Before and After Pics....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bourjois 123....amazing daily wear, medium coverage foundation. And the price is ok too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That means I made agood choice by choosing Rimmel stay matte its matte and help alot:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. am i the only 1 whos in love with this foundation in shade soft sand i literally hav to tell my bro to post it everytyme i run out r stock it when i go to london . for me it gives me a nice glowy complection without ne trouble blending it its amazing i hardly use my mac studio finish r este lauder ne more .
    do u have the shade soft sand i wud lik to stock it up

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am happy i didn't bought this one... I placed an order with just4girls with most of MUA items but i skipped this because i have checked so many reviews who say this is not a good product so i think i saved my 350...

    great review... thanx

    ReplyDelete
  13. We still don't get so many brands in India! :/
    But Sara you have a nice skin, you hardly need foundation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just got my order of MUA products today from just4girls and i was pretty excited about it. Out of the 4 lipsticks i ordered, only 1 has the perfect pigmentation and texture to it. The rest are quite disappointing :( me not happy today, at all!
    And after reading this review about another MUA product, i think ill take a break from this brand for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow..three shades? That's....very odd. This is quite disappointing and I don't think that any low price could justify it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh thank goodness i read your this review before buying it myself. I had been eyeing it but now definitely i wont be purchasing. Thankyou for reviewing it so clearly and giving honest opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey sara,which foundation would be the best for fair complexion? i want a long lasting result with reasonable price : ) kindly help me out in finding out a good one ..

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment. Your lovely comments make my day. <3

Please avoid rude or inappropriate comments. Also, this is the comments section. No queries will be entertained unrelated to the post.

For queries, please write to info@sarahassansblog.com.

NOTE: Comments with LINKS will NOT be entertained. Thank you. :)