SpectraBAN SC Sun Screen SPF 40 – Review

SpectraBAN SC Sun Screen SPF 40 – Review

Saturday, June 30, 2012 Sara Hassan , 28 Comments
gel based sunblock, oily skin

I have looked high and low for a sun block that would suit my skin. Finally, I have found one!

SpectraBAN SC Sun Screen SPF 40 by Stiefel
For people that require protection from harmful UV rays. Ideal for those with acne prone /oily skin. Apply on the area exposed to sunlight (such as face, neck & body) atleast 30 min before exposure. Massage on to skin until absorbed.

Benefits:
  • SpectraBAN SC contains SPF 40 and protects both from UVA & UVB rays.
  • Contains sebomicropore structure that absorbs oil/ sebum.
  • Hyppoallergenic and non- comedogenic.

SpectraBAN SC Sun Screen SPF 40
My thoughts
Prior to this, I was using Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-touch Sun Block SPF 30 which wasn’t bad but the only thing I did not like about it was that it made my face shiny after a couple of hours. God bless each one of you, one of my readers suggested I try this and I did. I have to say, I love it. I think I have found my HG!

SpectraBAN comes in a 45ml bottle with a pump. It’s in a gel form – not your typical sun block lotion – and says it’s specifically designed for people with combination/oily skin types. If you’re familiar with face primers, you can tell that it feels exactly like a face primer but much lighter. I spread the product on my face and let it sink; giving it a minute or two. You can definitely put on makeup afterwards. It  has no smell, does not feel greasy and the best part; it controls sebum (oil) on my face – my sister with oily skin agrees to it as well. The oil control lasts for good four hours. Not that my face gets greasy after wards, but after those four hours, I can see slight shine peeking through which, truthfully speaking, is acceptable to me. Since it’s silicone-based, it acts as a foundation primer and helps makeup to blend and last. Also, it didn't break me out.

I am a very curious person so I dug deeper. I found a few things that I would like to share:
  • It says it contains Cyclopentasiloxane (or CPS for short) which is a type of silicone that feels water thin on application, is supposed to moisturize, sooth and add glow to the face. It is also used in hair conditioning products to make hair shiny and frizz-free.
  • It also says it contains Dimethicone Crosspolymer, found in skin products, feels silky smooth and helps instantly diminish wrinkles.
  • It has Bemotrizinol which is a broad-spectrum UV absorber, absorbing both UVB and UVA rays.
Overall, I absolutely love this product. It not only protects skin from sun damage but also keeps excessive oil at bay. It's a definite repurchase for me.

You might like it if…
  • You have a combination/oily skin.
  • You are looking for sun block that’s controls sebum.
  • It helps in foundation blending and makes it last longer.
  • You expect it to moisturize your skin.
You might not like it if…
  • You are allergic to silicones.
  • You think it’s pricey.
My rating
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7FD6E1z5fCA/TiFunSyy6WI/AAAAAAAAB00/DuuE30-CtCc/s1600/rating+copy.jpg
5/5

SpectraBAN SC Sun Screen SPF 40 is priced PKR 1900 and is available at all pharmacies across Pakistan. This product is made by Stiefel which is available in the U.S, Australia, India, Thailand and most parts of Europe.

Have you tried a gel-based sun block? Which is your favorite?

28 comments :

  1. Great! Love the review.........Its quite pricey but then I have never had a sunscreen good enough for oily skin.

    So yes I think Ill pamper my skin with this thing :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Sara though I am not a sunblock person at all:) but the product seems tempting to me:)great review and ur keen eye on all aspects of the product is a joy for ur fans like me:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its a life saver. Thx for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Sebum control" after reading these two words, i would definitely try this product!

    Thanks for the review sara. As usual you successfully managed to add more stress on my wallet :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PHOTOPROTECTION Since photosensitivity of the skin results from exposure
      to sunlight, it follows that absolute avoidance of the sun would
      eliminate these disorders. Unfortunately, contemporary life-styles
      make this an impractical alternative for most individuals, and this has
      led to a search for better approaches to photoprotection.
      Natural photoprotection is provided by structural proteins in the
      epidermis, particularly keratins and melanin. The amount of melanin
      and its distribution in cells is genetically regulated, and individuals of
      darker complexion (skin types IV to VI) are at decreased risk for the
      development of acute sunburn and cutaneous malignancy.
      Other forms of photoprotection include clothing and sunscreens.
      Clothing constructed of tightly woven sun-protective fabrics, irrespective
      of color, affords substantial protection. Wide-brimmed hats, long
      sleeves, and trousers all reduce direct exposure. Sunscreens are now
      considered to be over-the-counter drugs and category I ingredients are
      recognized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as monographed
      and safe and effective. These are listed in Table 51-5. Sunscreens
      are rated for their photoprotective effect by their SPF. The SPF
      is simply a ratio of the time required to produce sunburn erythema
      with and without sunscreen application. The monograph stipulates that
      sunscreens must be rated on a scale ranging from minimal (SPF 2
      and
      12) to moderate (SPF 12 and
      30) to high (SPF 30, labeled
      as 30 ). No SPF number 30 can be placed on the label.
      In addition to light absorption, a critical determinant of the sustained
      photoprotective effect of sunscreens is their water-resistance.
      The FDA monograph has also defined strict testing criteria for sunscreens
      making this claim.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a great product. Thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree... steifel's one of the best companies. Its anti-acne products also work wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Sara :) I was waiting for a good sun block review :) thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my favorite sun block!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have the one which is SPF90..yes 90! its 10ml for Rs300! and i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. For Pak skin type , doctors recommend SPF 25 or 30 . SPF greater than 60 should be avoided.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can anyone let me know from where I can get this gel please? Recommend me some store names with area in Lahore. Thanks a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AOA Sara! does it really not go well with foundation??ur experience please?
    thanks a ton dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to me, it will go well with any liquid foundation. I have been using it underneath my foundation for almost a year now and I haven't faced any issues with blending whatsoever with it. :) xx

      Delete
  13. Hello sara, I've heard sunscreens are different from sunblocks and that sunscreen only prevents against sunburn and not tanning..unlike sunblock that does both jobs..I've hyper-pigmentation issues on certain areas of my face and i need to prevent my skin from darkening. Is spectraban a good choice if i have to prevent myself from tanning?
    I've tried all kinds of sunblock but all of them leave my skin extremely oily after few hours of application.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I went on a beach last Sunday with this on, I didn't tan at all. Plus, this doesn't make skin greasy. Just to be sure, consult a physician before purchasing. :)

      Delete
  14. very tempted to buy but do you need a moisturizer with this? how does it compare with helionof?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, if your skin is dry you'd need to moisturize before applying this. I'm afraid I haven't tried Helionof yet :)

      Delete
  15. Oh! Do you know of any other for oily skin that would work well at the beaches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Rida, It won't come off that easily but yes you must reapply every 2 hours if you're on the beach (just hanging out that is). But if you're taking a dip in the ocean, you will have to apply again.

      P.S It's definitely sweat-proof. :) x

      Delete
    2. Thank u so much! I am traveling soon InshaAllah and I tan really bad :-D all ur recommendations have worked really well for me till now! Thanks! :-) xx

      Delete
  16. It broke me out :( I so wanted to love it but everytime I put it on I get a zit within a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. how long does one pack of this sunblock lasts ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, it shall last you for around three months if you use it liberally everyday. :) x

      Delete
    2. where can i get this from?is it available locally?

      Delete

Feel free to comment. Your lovely comments make my day. <3

Please avoid rude or inappropriate comments. Also, this is the comments section. No queries will be entertained unrelated to the post.

For queries, please write to info@sarahassansblog.com.

NOTE: Comments with LINKS will NOT be entertained. Thank you. :)