Bourjois 123 Perfect Foundation – Review & swatches

Bourjois 123 Perfect Foundation – Review & swatches

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 Sara Hassan , 55 Comments

Bourjois 123 Perfect Foundation, in my opinion, is gonna get both rants and raves. Reason? Read more to find that out!

Bourjois 123 Perfect Foundation
Corrects and conceals all blemishes. INNOVATION: 3 correcting pigments, 0 imperfections.

3 color correcting pigments:
  • Yellow pigments – conceals dark circles for a rested look
  • Mauve pigments – corrects dullness for radiance
  • Green pigments – neutralizes redness for an even out the complexion
Soft and smooth formula for an undetectable, second skin finish.

Available in 9 natural shades to suit all skin types.
24hr hydration with SPF 10
Cotton Flower – hydration & anti-shine

Bourjois 123 Perfect Foundation
Bourjois 123 Perfect Foundation
Bourjois 123 Perfect Foundation in Beige ‘Shade 54’ (before & after application)
I am also wearing this foundation here.

My thoughts
Unlike the popular Healthy Mix Foundation, this foundation is not fit for everyone’s skin. It’s absolutely wrong of them to say that it suits all skin types and trick people into getting it. Good news oilies, this one is for you! I just recently ran out of my True Match Foundation and was looking around for a replacement. I and my sister settled for this after going through numerous reviews and swatches –  it’s a tricky task to select a shade online. For me, this is a product rave BUT first let me highlight the cons.

First of all, this foundation comes in a limited number of shades. We only have five shades available in Pakistan which obviously is a huge con. It’s going to be a little confusing for you to decide your match because the shades run quite pale in this range– maybe that’s because of the yellow pigment in it. Anyway, remember, DO NOT go for your usual Bourjois color and opt for one tone darker. Say, I am Shade 53 in Healthy Mix Foundation so Shade 54 is my match in this range. Shade 54 would be suitable for NC 30 Asian skin tone. Secondly, as previously mentioned, this foundation is not at all suitable for dry to normal skin types. The finish is very matte and would be pretty unforgiving on dry patches. I always moisturize my skin before putting on this foundation.

Now the pros. I’ve been using this foundation for past couple of weeks – running out of it super fast – and in all honesty, I absolutely love it! I believe the pigments work really well on my skin. The yellow conceals spots and blemishes, mauve gives a radiant effect to the skin and the green pigment neutralizes redness around my nose. I feel my skin appears smooth and evened out when I use it. It doesn’t completely hide dark circles or zits but covers them to a great extent. With the help of concealer, you can flaunt a flawless skin. BUT keep in mind, it’s a matte foundation. Always moisturize the dry areas on your face to avoid creating flaky spots.

This foundation has somewhat thicker consistency compared to Healthy Mix Foundation. It has a faint distinct floral scent which doesn’t bother me but it could be touch overwhelming if you prefer scent-free products. I'd stress applying it with a kabuki brush and not with fingers or a stippling brush because it’s a hard job to blend. It doesn’t spread out that easily so you need something dense to do the task. For a blended finish, I section up my face and apply it bit by bit with my Sigma F80. You need to work quickly with this product because it sets fast. You can apply it sheer or build up to get a medium coverage out of it.

The thing I enjoy the most about this foundation is the finish of course. Soon after I’ve applied it, it sets matte with a slight powdery feel; it’s not cakey or unnatural. By this, I mean you can skip using your setting/pressed powder. I agree that it gives a second skin effect (if it matches you) and also feels feather light on the skin. It doesn’t clog pores and it doesn’t transfer unlike True Match Foundation which is also a major plus. Of course it wouldn't stay matte all day but considering the scorching heat of Karachi, it does a credible job; it doesn't oxidize and stays put for around good five to six hours on me. A nose touchup may be needed mid-day; after that I’m good till I reach home.

Overall, I personally love this foundation. It has SPF 10, a matte finish, good coverage -- qualities of an ideal summer foundation. I will definitely repurchase.

You might like it if...
  • You have a combination to oily skin type.
  • You expect a light weight matte finish.
  • You can find your match.
  • You expect a decent wear up to five hours.
  • You want a foundation that doesn't oxidize or transfer.
  • You want SPF in your foundation.
 You might not like it if...
  • You have a dry to normal skin type.
  • It accentuates dry spots (you don't moisturize).
  • You expect an easy blending.
  • You can't find your match.
My rating
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-k9pvc7-MFlg/Ti7Ey2nCQdI/AAAAAAAAB5A/vAOA9RcLgyE/s1600/4.jpg 
4/5

Bourjois 123 Perfect Foundation is priced PKR 2030 on BeautyArena. This was my first purchase from the store and I had a good shopping experience with them. I haven't yet seen this foundation in stores.

Have you tried this foundation? Any foundation suggestions for combination to oily skin type?

55 comments :

  1. This one sounds great, how does it compare ti the revlon colorstay? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For starters, I personally don't consider Revlon ColorStay to be a day foundation. It's more suitable to be used in the night time for medium to heavy coverage. Second, it's difficult to find a shade with yellow undertones so it sorta looks off if I use it in the day time. Hope this helps :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you Sara :) i was also looking for matte foundation :) I think it will be good for my skin too :) wish could have my shade :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow what an awesomely thorough review!! I am tempted to try this but I should reconsider my skin type- again, fabulous post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! Personally, I am not a fan of those foundations that doesn't blend easily. But, this foundation always tempted me. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take its time to blend but the final result is great! :)

      Delete
  5. the look u created using this foundation is flawless..,,so i just in love with this inspite of having normal to dry skin,,,,:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sara for the review...will check this one out now for sure

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have 2 requests for blog posts!
    1. Can you please go through your makeup bag that you perhaps take to work.
    2. Please do the 7 deadly sins of Beauty Tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maliha, I have so much in the pipeline but I'd try. Thank you! :) xx

      Delete
  8. hey could please recommed a tinted moisturizer or foundation that looks natural and i can wear it to school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Numra, what's your skin type? :)

      Delete
    2. You can try Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation if you want a dewy look. Try out the testers in the store to see if you like the finish. You can apply it sheer to medium :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks alot..btw i adore ur picture quality..,:)

      Delete
  9. nice review dear...can I hydrate my skin with L'oreal aqua gel before applying any matte foundation? as I have dry patches on cheeks...but very oily skin, I think I will buy this..or do u suggest mix and match?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can hydrate your skin with L'Oreal Aqua Gel before applying this foundation :)

      Delete
  10. hey sara!! u r doing great help to ppl like me!! seriously!!! thank you soo much!! now back to my question!!

    i hv v.oily skin like super oily(lolz) and huge pores on cheeks! every foundation i tried up till now frm tv stick to loreal true match liquid foundation makes me oily after 1-2 hours even though i set it with tons of this powder and that powder ( translucent or face). do u recommend this for my skin type?? efter-eid wedding season is about to start!! plzzz help!!
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know what, give this a try, it might work for you. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. i got the foundation after your review and yep every word of what you said abt it was true.thank you for sharing and helping

    ReplyDelete
  13. Does anyone know where I can buy this foundation in the USA. I bought it in Paris last time I was there and cannot find anywhere on the net to purchase it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used this foundation , No. 53, the shade was darker for me and this foundation is very drying (best for oily to normal skin), so i mix maybelline ivory 01 with it, so i get perfect shade , and no doubt, it covers up my all flaws on skin, but it is a bit dry or matte... and i am not a big fan of matte foundations

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey sara i just got this foundation in shade 55 it suites my skin perfectly. but wen i take a picture with flash on it shows as a different color all together lighter almost whitish pale :( so i tried taking a picture without thw flash and it looks perfect . just like a finished look of my own skin tone. so m wondering did i get a wrong shade or is this the case with flash as a whole? please do reply .
    p.s:i am also considering to purchase a foundation from merele norman the one at forum since they say they have a huge selection of shades. my skin is combanation/oily the main reason why i got this after reading ur review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Fatma, the white cast with flash is because it has SPF ingredients in it. You can look for foundations without SPF if you want to do flash photography :)

      Delete
  16. thanks alot for the clearification sara :) your an encyclopedia when it comes to all things make up =) what would u suggest as a foundation without spf for a combanation/oily skin keeping in mind karachi's humid weather for summers and one for winters too ur a doll

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Fatma, thank you for the lovely words <3 You could look for Max Factor Lasting Performance Liquid Foundation or Catrice Photo Finish Liquid Foundation 18h for summer. For winter, you can check out Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 Hour Foundation :) x

      Delete
  17. hey sara
    aoa
    i wanted to ask if is it easily available in stores in pakistan?
    thanks
    best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Saria, it should be but I'm not completely sure. I bought it online :)

      Delete
    2. When I went to hyperstar last I think I saw it in the pharmacy and yes I think it s avalible:)

      Delete
  18. Hey, can you please do a comparison between this foundation and the revlon colourstay? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. my skin is so very oily and when it comes to foundations i still feel i havent find a good one , everything starts to look dull after some time and every foundation does oxidies.i feel im nc30 coz i ordered Mac powder plus foundation a year back and it looks white on my skin. back to the question. ive used L'Oreal infallible powder foundation range and their metamorphose mouse in golden beige. honestly i feel its pinkish. i start to look dark after some time, is it the same with true match range? i was so reluctant to try any foundation now since i just pile on new ones and end up hating them..the color i feel does suit me is the luscious pressed powder no 1. but obviously i need some good base first coz ive blemishes, big open pores and what not... would that borjoise foundation work for me? please recommend something goood for me.You are doing great. loved your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mary, thanks a lot for appreciating! :)

      Well, since my skin is not very oily, I can't say if this one would go well with your skin type however, the shade of Bourjois 123 reviewed here has strong yellow undertones so I think it won't look pinkish or pull off any white cast. The finish is very matte but on very oily skin, you need to apply some mattifying face primer beforehand to control the oil (you can try Avon MagiX Face Perfector or Monistat Chafing Relief PowderGel) or carry a setting powder in your bag for mid day touch ups. I hope this helps! xx

      Delete
  20. I have heard a lot about the healthy mix one and I can't wait to try it out as I have dry skin! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. What brush do you recommend using with a liquid foundation. I'm still trying to find a good one with even application. Currently I use the flat foundation brush but I find that to be streaky. I use MakeUp Forever HD! Thanks for your help :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, I recommend checking out Sigma Flat Top F80 :) xx

      Delete
  22. Hey, Sara
    I have been dyingly in love with this foundation ever since i read your review last year; however, unfortunately it doesn't have my shade; i had got shade 56 in it but it appeared lighter on me so i gave it to my sis; you are very much right in saying to go for one shade darker than the shade in Healthy mix (T-57 is my shade in that) so, go somebody ask BOurjois to bring some more shades in this foundation; i desperately need to get shade 58 in Bourjois 123 Perfect Foundation :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. i couldn't find it at ENUM store liberty Lhr. :( Not even cartice photo finish :(( i tried an infallible something of loreal but it came off easily.

    ReplyDelete
  24. hey sara, m using bourjois (on ur recommendation ofc). here's my experience-
    cons,
    duzn't keep sweat off
    duzn't keep oil off for long (in case u've a very oily skin like mine)
    pros,
    it's really lasting, duzn't budge for like 6-7 hrs
    gives a natural looking medium coverage (even to dark circles n pimples struck skin)
    duzn't give patches (which i'd experienced with few other foundations)
    easily applicable
    Hope this helps.
    Stay blessed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I want to share my experience of using this foundation. you can see my comment above. after my first experience with this foundation; i kept drooling over it as i didn't get my perfect shade; however, i really wanted to! so, i didn't STOP! i was told by Shahrzad Dastan of Prettypeachyandpink that shade 54 is the most yellow based shade in this that she has come across and that shade 56 is actually pink-based! i took stand and ordered 54 thinking that since it is yellow based; it might suit me; to my surprize shade 54 did suit me quite close-enough; however, i could still see some white cast after i applied it; i kept on researching and found that when bourjois says its beige it has three shades in the beige range that are yellow-based i.e. beige clair (light beige), beige and beige fonce (dark beige) i again had to think over it and thought since beige fonce is 'dark beige' it might suit me even better than 54 (beige) so, i ordered shade 55 (beige fonce/dark beige) and trust me i finally got the perfect shade! (Pakistani girls mostly would fall in one of these three shades being yellow-toned) Though in the bottle and on swatching shade 55 seems lighter but it's just my shade on application and after blending :) so, it's happy ending indeed! The reason why i am writing all this here is because i know there might be girls out there who would be confused in choosing shade of this foundation so, they can get help out of it. I have also learnt that when it says "Rose" in the foundation shade be assured that it is pink-based. For reference i would say shade 54 would suit NC30-35 skin tones and shade 55 would suit NC37-42 (since i am NC42 as self diagnosed, so it suits me) Sorry for such a long long comment :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your valuable suggestion. Indeed it would help! :) xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much newtomakeup :) You made my day :)

      Delete
  27. Hey Sara! Hope you're doin good.. Remember I asked you that what should i get for daily wear CSP proluminous or revlon color stay? You recommended CSP and i went to naheed to try and buy.. It looked so cakey on me :(
    My face is an oil factory so can I buy this bourjois 123 perfect foundation? And do I need a separate compact powder for this? And should I buy a kabuki brush for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Madiha, CSP doesn't get cakey at all. There may be something wrong with the tester I assume. Well, since your skin is oily Bourjois 123 would be a great choice for you. You can apply it with your fingers if you don't own a kabuki. Also, use slightly wet wedge shaped sponge to blend and sheer out the coverage if you desire. :)

      Delete
    2. Thankew so much! I'll go and try CSP again.. And then i'll tell you.. Love you gorgeous!

      Delete
    3. Hey Saraaaa!! I got the bourjois 123 perfect foundation and it is really PERRRRRFECT! I got it yesterday in shade 52 which is a great match and i wore it today to my university and it stayed there for 7 hours and then i washed my face.. Its amazing and gives a really nice matte look.. Thanks to you you are my beauty guru!

      Delete
  28. Have you tried the Bourjois Flower Perfection foundation? I read good reviews about it online but I was wondering if you've tried it and what your take on it is.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have it in shade 53 but its slightly dark for me.I only tried it once. Someone please help my money going waste so I can get my hands on 52 :(

    ReplyDelete
  30. Can I ask hw do u diagnose this skin type nc42, nc30 etc I dont gt it
    Is it available at naheed tariq road ?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment. Your lovely comments make my day. <3

Please avoid rude or inappropriate comments. Also, this is the comments section. No queries will be entertained unrelated to the post.

For queries, please write to info@sarahassansblog.com.

NOTE: Comments with LINKS will NOT be entertained. Thank you. :)