Catrice Prime and Fine Smoothing Refiner – Review

Catrice Prime and Fine Smoothing Refiner – Review

Sunday, August 12, 2012 Sara Hassan , 33 Comments

To get the most out of your foundation, prepping your skin is essential. Primer makes your foundation adhere better to your skin hence making it last longer. Under the spotlight today we have Catrice Prime and Fine Smoothing Refiner. Does it hold up to its claim? Let’s find that out!

Prime and Fine Smoothing Refiner
CATRICE presents Prime and Fine – the new range of professional products for an excellent foundation. Ideal preparation: the Smoothing Refiner. The oil-free silicone-based primer practically makes pores disappear and fills out wrinkles for a smooth, refined complexion. Now you’re ready for your grand entry! Comes in a high-quality jar.

Catrice Prime and Fine Smoothing Refiner
Catrice Prime and Fine Smoothing Refiner
My thoughts
Catrice Prime and Fine Smoothing Refiner comes in a BIG jar – almost the size of my palm – so the quantity is impressive. I also like the sturdy packaging of it; for a drugstore product, it seems great! However, it’d rather prefer a handy tube because dipping your finger in there daily could be a bit un-hygienic.

This product makes no claim of making your foundation last longer. I don’t know why they missed this point in the description because it does make my foundation last through heat and humidity -- without a primer it wouldn’t be that easy.

As you unlock the lid, you notice a slight pink tint. It goes on absolutely transparent when you apply however it has some brightening effect on the skin which doesn't look unnatural; it just evens out my complexion. It has a creamy texture that spreads over evenly so you just need a small amount to cover each section of your face.  It has a mild scent to it which is hardly noticeable post application. After I apply it, I see that it makes my skin supple and smooth which I love. If you have an oily skin type, it would give the right balance of moisture to your skin without making it look or feel greasy but since it doesn't control oil or mattify, I don't deem it suitable for combination/oily skin (if you expect a matte finish). It feels buttery on initial application but soon as it sets, it doesn't feel that way. In fact, it’s light weight and doesn’t make my skin feel suffocated.

It says, it makes pores and lines invisible which I believe is just an exaggeration so don’t expect an air-brushed look. That being said, I do believe it fills in my pores and makes them look less visible instantly but it doesn’t do much for the fine lines under my eyes. What's best about this primer is that it gives a smooth slip to the skin which helps foundation blend flawlessly so I believe it does a good job creating a smooth canvas for foundation application. Also it doesn’t make my T-zone shine more than I do without it.

Overall, this is a good primer if you want your foundation to look natural and blended. It reduces the appearance of pores and makes foundation stay put. But if you expect it to make you pore less, that isn't gonna happen.

You might like it if...
  • You expect it to minimize pores.
  • You think it gives a nice slip to the skin for foundation to blend flawlessly.
  • You expect it to hydrate your skin.
  • You expect it to make your foundation last through the day.
  • You have dry/normal/combination skin type.
You might not like it if...
  • You expect it to make you pore-free.
  • You expect it to vanish fine lines on your face.
  • Dipping your finger in the jar seems unhygienic to you.
  • You expect it to mattify.
My rating:
3.5/5

Catrice Prime and Fine Smoothing Refiner is priced PKR 930 and can be purchased online from BeautyArena.pk. Catrice can also be found at Scentsation stores in Karachi.

What do you think about it? Have you tried it?


PR sample(s) sent for review. This however has not affected my opinion at all. My loyalty is to my readers and being honest is my utmost responsibility. I have given my sincere opinion about the product(s) mentioned in the post. For more details, please go through my Disclosure Policy.

If you have any questions, you can have a look at FAQ or email me on info@sarahassansblog.com.

33 comments :

  1. Ahh wish it came in a tube! But the jar seems sturdy. Haven't tried any Catrice products so either this or the gel liner that you reviewed would be my first :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted to try this one, since I saw it. Thanks for the review, will definitely check this out. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Em a regular reader ov ur blog n 1st tym commenting on any ov ur post.. i waz the 1 who didnt know the a.b.c ov makeup n jst because ov u now i can do a bit ov gud makeup ..thanku so much... N I want u to review the productz of essence...thankx once again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Fatima <3

      I am so happy to have helped you in someway. I reviewed a concealer trio by Essence a few days back; do check that. I will sure review other products very soon. :) xx

      Delete
    2. Im using face moose.. base n face powder of essence n they r gud... But i also want u to review it...

      Delete
  4. i have always been wanting to try this....but i have a tie between this catrice one and the rimmel fix and perfect foundation primer!! can anybody tell me which one would be good for me provided i have oily skin,and also want the primer to make my pores less visible and to make the foundation last longer??! please reply!! anyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Amy, I haven't heard good things about the Rimmel one but I suggest you google for some reviews. I am sure that would make things clear. :)

      Delete
    2. sara have you tried using porefessional by benefit and this cartice primer together??! i have porefessional , just looking for a good primer to go with it! and do you think it's ok to use both simultaneously!??

      Delete
    3. This one you can use all over the face. I apply Porefessional only on the problem zones. Yes, they can both be used simultaneously. :)

      Delete
  5. u made my choice difficult dear...Loving this too, as I wanted to buy primer from MUA..but this sounds good too, jar thing is a problem. will check...

    ReplyDelete
  6. how does it compare with the bodyshop vit C primer? do you require a moisturiser under it for oily skin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the Body Shop one so can't tell. If you have an oily skin, you can skip your moisturizer. :)

      Delete
  7. i have read many review about this primer cause i wanted to get it,now got another good review.. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was planning to get this but was not sure so I dropped the idea for now but after this review I am definitely getting this!! Thank you for the great review Sara *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. would this suit very oily skin? My foundation seems to sink in after a while making me look tan. I've tried everything :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it would suit very oily skin.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the review and I couldn't agree more about this kind of packaging, it's not only less hygenic but also quite uncomfortable to use when you have long nails : /

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding this point. I'd try using it with a flat foundation brush and update the post. :)

      Delete
    2. h that is so so true!! long nails and then using products with such pacakging!! oh i despise it badly, i try all the way to the nick not to get anything under my nail!!

      Delete
  11. nice pick sara :) i have very oily skin ... and in summer it is really bad thing... but i donot have open pores issue.. so what do u suggest????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try the Avon Magix Fix perfecter. you'll love it :) xx

      Delete
  12. nice review sara.I was about to buy this one but as I have very oily skin I will try Avon magix now.
    you r my beauty guru.I don't know what would I do without you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally agreed with Hananoire. Sara there was time when you were so honest. You told as real experiences. But Unfortunately,I think your blog is so paid and commercialized now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hananoire is a lovely friend of mine & she agreed with my point that I mentioned right in the beginning of my review. Please go through the post again. My loyalty is to my readers and being honest is my utmost responsibility. My conscience is clear. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  14. is it good for dry skin. I want to try it

    ReplyDelete
  15. can use it in winter dry skin? plz sugguest any prmier which can be use in winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, you can use it in winter :)

      Delete

    2. should i use primer in summer ? which one u recommend. as i apply foundation sweats come over the face.

      Delete
    3. Hey Saima, sweating is natural. A primer won't stop you from sweating. In summer, you can try AVON Magix Face Perfector or Atrdeco Skin Perfecting Make-up Base. xx

      Delete

Feel free to comment. Your lovely comments make my day. <3

Please avoid rude or inappropriate comments. Also, this is the comments section. No queries will be entertained unrelated to the post.

For queries, please write to info@sarahassansblog.com.

NOTE: Comments with LINKS will NOT be entertained. Thank you. :)