WEN Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner – Review

WEN Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner – Review

Friday, August 10, 2012 Sara Hassan , 13 Comments
WEN Cleansing Conditioner claims to make hair shiny and manageable. Did it work for me? Read more to that out.

WEN® Cleansing Conditioner
WEN® Cleansing Conditioner is a revolutionary new concept in hair care. A 5-in-1 formula, this one product takes the place of your shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner, detangler and leave-in conditioner. It cleanses hair thoroughly but without lathering and all the harsh ingredients that may be found in ordinary shampoos—it is designed so it won't strip your hair and scalp of their natural oils. Your hair is left with sheen, moisture, manageability and better color retention.

Directions:
Rinse hair thoroughly and apply 10-15 pumps of the product to your palms and rub together. More, for longer and thicker hair. Apply to your scalp, massaging vigorously, and add a splash of water to create a foaming effect. Massage vigorously for 1-3 minutes, comb through hair, and leave on at least 3-5 minutes for maximum conditioning. Comb through and rinse hair thoroughly, massaging scalp and running fingers tough to the ends. Apply a small amount as a leave-in conditioner, if desired.

WEN Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner
My thoughts
I must say all those claims make it sound very tempting. I mean, who doesn’t love a multipurpose product? Looking at the 480 ml bottle, I was convinced that it would last me a loooong time. Plus, I love the fact that it’s SLS free.

The directions on the bottle say you need to apply 10-15 pumps of the product. To start with, the pump doesn’t work. I tried pumping numerous times; it just didn’t pump up any product probably because it is so thick in texture. Surprisingly, after couple of use and thousand attempts, it worked. In the beginning when the pump didn't work, I used to squeeze the product out.

I followed the directions to a tee and I have to say, I absolutely loved the minty sensation and enjoyed applying it however, immediately after massaging and combing through, I started to notice my hair falling out in chunks and THAT was beyond scary. I thought it was me but when I inquired my sisters about it, they all agreed to have gone through the same. I also checked for reviews online and found it happening to many people too. The results? Even though it does make my hair clean, soft and very manageable but it does not make hair any shinier than it normally is. Also, you run out of the product under a month since you need to apply tons of it. On top of that, it’s pretty expensive.

Taking everything into consideration, I must say, I am disappointed. It just didn’t work for me (and my sisters too).

You might like it if…
  • You’re looking for an SLS free product.
  • It makes hair soft and manageable.
  • You enjoy the minty sensation on your scalp.
  • You think it cleanses well.
You might not like it if…
  • The pump doesn’t work; you need to squeeze the product out.
  • You lose hair after each use.
  • It doesn’t make your hair any shinier than it normally is.
  • You think it’s pricey.
My rating
 2/5

WEN Cleansing Conditioner comes with a price of PKR 1800. You can purchase the whole set from Just4girls.pk.

What do you think about it? Have you tried it?


PR sample(s) sent for review. This however has not affected my opinion at all. My loyalty is to my readers and being honest is my utmost responsibility. I have given my sincere opinion about the product(s) mentioned in the post. For more details, please go through my Disclosure Policy.

If you have any questions, you can have a look at FAQ or email me on info@sarahassansblog.com.

13 comments :

  1. I had the same hair fall issues with it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh it is the third post and I think they do not match with each other... so sara thank you... I decided i will not buy this product to give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used the Pomegranate version and it also made my hair fall out too. :( However, it did make my hair very soft and fixed all my split ends. Too bad this almond one isn't as great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! That must have been scary!!Seeing your hair fall like that! Too bad because all those claims and the minty part seemed quite tempting. Definitely something to stay steer clear of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is soo surprising to hear, I don't understand why you guys are suffering from hair falling :(. I've had a good experience with this product. I use about 4-5 pumps and leave it on for about 5 mins and wash it out and it works great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Sara have you used any product that stops hair fall and facilitates hair growth?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think its something to do with your hair adjusting to an sls free product. i had tremendous amount of hairfall when i first tried out bodyshop`s rainforest range which is silicon,paraben,sulphate free. I`m thinking of going back to sulphates now. I`m pretty confused.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friend who has super long thick curly hair loves this stuff, but since I have thin damaged hair I think I'm gonna pass. I don't think this would work nearly as well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...Okay that just doesn't sound appealing at all...uhm...wow! Hair falling out? Geesh! Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a very late comment, but I have an idea as to why the hair fall may happen.
    Many shampoos and conditioners have ingredients in them to make hair shiny, fuller and so on. These ingredients can be waxy or silicone-based, and those ingredients can not only block hair follicles, they can also act like a 'glue' agent, making hairs that should have normally fallen out over time literally 'stick around' longer.
    When you use something without these ingredients and contains better ingredients which might help to dissolve the build-up from other products, you might experience a larger than normal amount of hair loss all at once! Healthy and good ingredients such as essential oils could cause this dissolving of residue, for example. In this case, dissolving the build up would be a good thing as it allows the scalp to 'breathe' just like washing off makeup on our faces does, as well as freeing the hair follicles to allow new hairs to grow in in their normal cycle.
    The way to see if this is true for you would presumably to be to continue with the new product (in this case Wen) and see if the hair fall resolves after a couple of weeks of use.
    I wouldn't suggest returning to sulfates as they do strip your hair and scalp of precious natural oils which keep your hair naturally shiny and healthy looking.
    SLS in particular is quite scary; it was originally designed to be an engine degreaser during World War II, as I understand (!!!). The diluted version is used in shampoos, body washes and so on because it's very cheap to use and creates suds which people associate with 'cleaning'.
    Interestingly, studies have shown that SLS actually *causes* hair loss - which is bizarre as it's used in shampoos all over! ;(
    If possible, I might consider trying a gentle, castille type of liquid soap as shampoo instead if it is available, or some other natural cleansing product.
    Many typical conditioners can do the same - waxy ingredients which make the hair fuller, etc, can make the hair appear fuller but may actually be cutting off the health of the scalp.
    I hope something here is helpful to you ladies. It is worth considering as keeping our skin healthy is incredibly important - it is, after all, the largest organ of our bodies and has a very important job and functions to perform!

    PS Thank you for this blog! I am a former esthetician in my country (Canada) and though I no longer work in this field professionally, I do very much enjoy reading excellent sites such as yours! Your makeup looks are stunning, and I'm learning so much more about the skin care needs of women with gorgeous skin types/tones such as yours. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment. Your lovely comments make my day. <3

Please avoid rude or inappropriate comments. Also, this is the comments section. No queries will be entertained unrelated to the post.

For queries, please write to info@sarahassansblog.com.

NOTE: Comments with LINKS will NOT be entertained. Thank you. :)