Avon SuperSHOCK Mascara – Review & swatches

Avon SuperSHOCK Mascara – Review & swatches

Thursday, September 06, 2012 Sara Hassan , 21 Comments

Is AVON SuperSHOCK mascara really shocking? Let’s find that out!

SuperSHOCK Mascara
Lush lashes in seconds! Get yourself some extreme volume! Thickening base coat and volumizing mascara in one. Up to 12X more volume.

All AVON mascaras are hypoallergenic and opthalmologist-tested.

 Avon SuperSHOCK Mascara
 Avon SuperSHOCK Mascara
 Avon SuperSHOCK Mascara (before and after - three coats)
 Avon SuperSHOCK Mascara applied - three coats
My thoughts
I am very picky when it comes to mascaras. I have quite sparse lashes so I look for both volume and length in a mascara. SuperSHOCK was my sister’s pick for me; I really had no clue as to how it was. Thanks to my sis, I didn’t know I was missing out something so good and cheap.

My favorite thing about this mascara – lengthy thick lashes without clumps. It gives my lashes a lot of oomph and drama without that spidery look. It’s also an extremely pigmented BLACK. The reason why I stress on black is because it’s the blackest mascara I’ve tried to date. Other mascaras that I have don’t appear as black next to it which is one of its strong points.

The formula is exactly according to my taste; it’s neither too wet nor dry so it doesn’t make a mess on the lid margins. It comes in a huge tube with a BIG wand that reminds me of CG LashBlast Volum only that it’s a bit longer than CG’s. I don’t find the brush difficult to use as it’s also slender unlike Rimmel Scandal Eyes Mascara that gave me a hard time with application. The bristles are soft, flexible and allow for a neat application. I love that it coats each and every lash giving me long fluttery lashes. In contrast to CG LashBlast Volum, it feels lighter, lengthens more plus also holds up the curl better but CG wins at keeping the lashes separated (and I thought it bunched them). SuperSHOCK's formula encourages to stick lashes together if you wait too much for each application to dry so make sure you keep this thing in mind. I won’t say it adds 12X volume but I can tell it definitely gives me something close to faux lashes.

Now coming to the application. With the first coat, don’t expect to be super shocked. I myself was disappointed with the first coat because it only defined my lashes. But once I got my second coat on, I got the WOW factor I was looking for. It requires three generous coats to add volume and length. I always wiggle the wand and sweep through the tips of lashes for a clean finish. Three coats without getting clumpy is indeed fantastic! This mascara wears well throughout the day without flaking and smudging. It also gets off easily with water or with cleansing milk.

On the whole, I am absolutely pleased with this mascara. It could be an everyday mascara if you coat once for definition or glam up your lashes for a night out with three coats. I personally like it more than CG because it's jet black and it lengths better in my case. I will encourage you to give it a whirl especially if it's on sale.

You might like it if...
  • You expect both volume and length.
  • You want a mascara that feels light & holds up the curl.
  • You want a mascara that doesn't smudge or flake.
  • You're looking for an ultra-black formula.
  • You expect a mess-free & clump-free application.
  • You want fluttery separated lashes (if you apply quickly). 
  • You want a mascara that gets off easily without struggle.
  • You're looking for a good budget-friendly mascara.
You might not like it if...
  • You expect volume and length on first coat.
  • You think it sticks your lashes together (if you wait too much).
  • You think the wand is too big for your liking.
  • You're looking for a water-proof mascara.
My rating
4.5/5

I purchased  Avon SuperSHOCK Mascara on sale for PKR 550 from Dhanak. It's retailed for the regular price of £8.50. You can also get it from any Avon representative. Avon changes the price of its products in monthly campaigns so you could get it on sale as well.


What do you think about it? Have you tried it?

21 comments :

  1. I think I saw Sam of Pixiwoo use this in a tutorial and it made her lashes really long. I haven't checked Avon products in a while, last time I did I wasn't at all impressed by them, but I am in the search for the perfect mascara so I might give this one a try ^^ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if there is any perfect mascara because this one didn't work for some. I hope it works for you! :) xx

      Delete
  2. Whatever product i usd frm avon i just lovd It. Ive usd dis product too. I bought mine frm Iram lilani for 575 It comes in 2 colorz nd types black nd black brown nd available in water proof too. I use avon products on regular basis nd loving them. Im using there skin care products, makeup, haircare...
    Nd sara do try theire very famous Glimer stick eyelinerz theyre also amazing. I bought my glimerstick frm Iram Lilani for 650.
    Nd i use to hav split ends nd its been more thn 6 mnths tht im using another amazing product avon 3d rescue serum bought frm avon at your doorstep for 1000 nd i hav no split ends. Its a leave in hair treatment. Do try these products nd review them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions Sahar. Really appreciate it! :) xx

      Delete
  3. I never heard of this mascara before but I am really going to try this. I hardly wear any falsies and a good volume is what I need all the time. Great review and awesome swatch. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you curl your lashes before applying this mascara?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always curl my lashes before applying mascara :)

      Delete
  5. Try oriflame 2fx mascara. It has 2 wands for thick or thin application n curls up my lashes in one coat. I use the thick wand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so much about this particular mascara even here in the Philippines. But I've never been more convinced on actually purchasing a tube till I saw your review on the product. Thanks for this very helpful review!

    XOXO, from a Philippine-based reader! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janna. I hope it works for you too :) xx

      Delete
  7. woa it's made your lashes look super thick and long! looks like a great mascara xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. this did not work for me at all.. :C

    ReplyDelete
  9. This mascara reminds me a lot of the Volume Million Lashes by Loreal. Can you please do a post on mascaras that are under a certain price.
    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am really impressed by the results.. thumbs up Sara :) and to your sister too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually only ever use one coat of mascara...maybe two if I'm trying to separate the lashes better. Haha! This still looks quite nice and I like the notion of it curling better than the CG.

    ReplyDelete
  12. there's maybelline's DIAL-A-LASH mascara if u want different thickness n length i got it in blue n worked amazing for me...n in black i have the body shop's super volume mascara u'd love it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. there's maybelline's dial-a-lash mascara if u want different length n thickness,i have it in blue ,the dial adjusts the amount of coating on the brush in the container but on the down side its water proof so u just cant wrestle it out of ur lashes,i guess it'l be excellent for brides,wouldnt smudge with tears n in black there's the body shop's super volume mascara im sure u'd love it too

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this review I just ordered one:)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment. Your lovely comments make my day. <3

Please avoid rude or inappropriate comments. Also, this is the comments section. No queries will be entertained unrelated to the post.

For queries, please write to info@sarahassansblog.com.

NOTE: Comments with LINKS will NOT be entertained. Thank you. :)