Illamasqua Gleam Highlighter in 'Aurora' – Review & swatches

Illamasqua Gleam Highlighter in 'Aurora' – Review & swatches

Saturday, September 22, 2012 Sara Hassan , 12 Comments

I have declared my love for highlighters many times. I have tried a few powder highlighters but I’ve never tried a cream one before. Read more to find out if it worked for me.

Illamasqua Gleam Highlighter in Aurora
Back by popular demand, and with a new and improved formula, Gleam's lightweight, iridescent finish sensuously highlights the natural beauty of your face and body.

A solid, cream compact, containing lustrous pearlescent pigments. Smooth Aurora (champagne iridescent) over skin with fingers or a brush for an alluring glow that lifts and highlights wherever it's applied. This is light-reflecting beauty.

Illamasqua Gleam Highlighter in Aurora
Illamasqua Gleam Highlighter in Aurora
Illamasqua Gleam Highlighter in Aurora
Illamasqua Gleam Highlighter in Aurora
Illamasqua Gleam Highlighter in Aurora
My thoughts
Lately, I am digging reflective dewy looks as seen on fashion runways across the world and this one is perfect to achieve that look.

Described as ‘champagne’ on the website, Aurora has a true creamy texture that contains very fine shimmer to give an iridescent glow. In my opinion, Aurora would flatter fair to medium skintones the most. This highlighter isn’t too overpowering which makes it pretty wearable however you can build up the intensity to create a strong lustrous look. Thankfully, it doesn’t appear frosty and has just the right amount of luminosity for my skin tone. Even though, it has extremely fine shimmer, I wouldn’t suggest this to you if you've got very large pores. But if you still want to add dimension to your face, limit your application to the outer one-third of your cheekbone (where there are no pores).

Just like a cream blusher, this formula is best suited for dry mature skins. My mum also prefers it over powder highlighters for it makes her face look lifted and adds a subtle glow. The best way you can apply a cream highlighter is to use your finger. Take a tiny bit of the product and swipe it across the top part of your cheekbone right above the blusher. Blend it in gently and evenly. Undoubtedly, it’s very light weight so I can’t feel it on my skin.  Another good thing I noticed is that a cream highlighter is easier to use on specific areas compared to the powder ones. And since it’s a cream, you have complete control over application and there is absolutely no shimmer fall out.

Coming to the wear now. Having a combination skin really sucks for this product doesn’t last many hours on me. If you have combination to oily skin type, you might be disappointed with its wear time. It remains only three hours on me and fades thereafter but the longevity also depends on where you reside. I live in Karachi which is notorious for its hot and humid weather so even if you happen to have a dry to normal skin type, you’d only get a maximum five hours wear out of it.

Overall, this is a good highlighter that looks very natural and doesn't emphasize pores considerably in my case. I absolutely love the 'wet' look I get with it. Regardless of the wear time, I suppose I'd be reaching out for it more in winter and ignore the powder highlighters that I have.

You might like it if...
  • You fancy the 'wet' look. 
  • You expect a seamless blending.
  • You're looking for highlighter that doesn't appear frosty.
  • You think it doesn't enhance pores considerably.
  • It feels light on the skin.
  • You have dry/mature skin.
You might not like it if...
  • You think it doesn't last for more than three hours on you (because you have combination or oily skin).
My rating
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-k9pvc7-MFlg/Ti7Ey2nCQdI/AAAAAAAAB5A/vAOA9RcLgyE/s1600/4.jpg 
4/5

Illamasqua Gleam Highlighter in Aurora comes with a price tag of £18.00 and can be purchased online from the website. Illamasqua ships worldwide including Pakistan.

What do you think about this product? Have you tried it?


PR sample(s) sent for review. This however has not affected my opinion at all. My loyalty is to my readers and being honest is my utmost responsibility. I have given my sincere opinion about the product(s) mentioned in the post. For more details, please go through my Disclosure Policy.

If you have any questions, you can have a look at FAQ or email me on info@sarahassansblog.com.

12 comments :

  1. looks good but me too have a combination skin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cream highlighters work wonders for dry/mature skin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Illamasqua sure has one of the best packagings out there. It's the price what's been keeping me from trying out this brand. Now I have another product to add to my wishlist thanks to you, great and thorough review as always Sarah. Thanks! xx ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. too bad, i've been thinking of giving this a try but i do have combination skin. :(thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment. Your lovely comments make my day. <3

Please avoid rude or inappropriate comments. Also, this is the comments section. No queries will be entertained unrelated to the post.

For queries, please write to info@sarahassansblog.com.

NOTE: Comments with LINKS will NOT be entertained. Thank you. :)