Maybelline SuperStay 24H Foundation – Review & swatches

Maybelline SuperStay 24H Foundation – Review & swatches

Saturday, June 29, 2013 Sara Hassan , 30 Comments
I was looking for a new foundation with medium coverage that won’t sweat off my face in the humid weather and it’s when I came across Maybelline SuperStay 24H Foundation. The description sounded very appealing so I thought I should give a whirl.

SuperStay 24H Foundation
  • Look naturally flawless all day.
  • Micro-Flex formula provides up to 24-hour wear and is transfer resistant.
  • Withstands heat, sweat, transfer and touch.
  • Oil-free, fragrance-free, tested under dermatological control.
  • Suitable for all skin types

For Best Results
Apply smoothly and evenly to your face and blend with your fingertips.  
 Maybelline SuperStay 24H Foundation
 Maybelline SuperStay 24H Foundation
 Maybelline SuperStay 24H Foundation in Nude - Swatch
 Maybelline SuperStay 24H Foundation in Nude compared to Bourjois 123 Perfect Foundation in Shade 54
 Maybelline SuperStay 24H Foundation - Before & After Application
My thoughts
Based on the reviews online, I settled for Nude as a match for my NC30 skin tone. I got one with a pump which I assume is the UK version whereas the US one doesn't come with a pump. I’m not going to compare it to Revlon ColorStay because it doesn’t even come close to that in my experience.

To begin with, the shade Nude didn’t turn out as I expected. Even though it’s the right match, it looks kinda off on me due to the strong peach undertones. I’ve to bring it to match my skin tone with a pressed powder. The consistency is a bit thick and appears very concentrated when you put it over your skin which gives you an impression that it would cover well however, the result is totally opposite. I actually required more layering with this product for it to cover any spots/blemishes and cancel out the redness than I normally have to with my all-time favorite Bourjois 123 Perfect Liquid Foundation.

The formula feels light, smooth, moisturizing, doesn’t grab onto any dry patches and sets to a semi-matte finish in a minute. It spreads easily so blending isn’t a struggle but I’ve noticed that it tends to sink into the pores instead of minimizing them which is definitely not ideal for someone with large pores. About the coverage, I’d say it's light to medium. You could easily build it without fearing it would end up looking cakey/mask-like which is indeed the only good thing about it.

Now to the drawbacks. For a foundation that claims 24-hour wear, it doesn’t deliver at all (at least not in my case). As the name implies, I was expecting it to stay put but it’s certainly not transfer-resistant and keeps coming off when I use tissue to wipe off my sweat. It doesn’t combat oil and turns my T-zone shiny within an hour if I don’t set; the rest of my face remains fine though. On my sister (who has an oily skin), it actually turns greasy by the end of the day even after setting. It slides off my T-zone, makes me look orange -- 'wrong undertones' -- and doesn’t withstand heat as well as it claims to. This probably would fare better on dry/normal skin or where humidity isn't that bad. The worst part, it stains my foundation brushes horribly! The pigment takes at least three washes to get off completely which is a pain. My advice, save your brushes and use your fingers instead for application.

Bottom line: it’s not meant for all skin types as they say. I really wanted to like this foundation but I just couldn't. It transfers terribly plus it wasn't cheap either so I wouldn't repurchase. People with dry/normal skin may well like it for it appears quite natural and turns dewy as it wears through the day. That being said, it's certainly not the formulation that withstands heat and humidity so it's a miss for me.

You might like it if…
  • You have dry/normal skin type
  • You expect light to medium coverage
  • You expect a semi-matte finish that turns dewy eventually
  • It blends very easily
  • You expect it to look natural and feel weightless on the skin
  • You expect it to be fragrance-free
You might not like it if…
  • You have combination/oily skin type
  • You can’t find yourself a match according to your undertone
  • You expect it to be transfer-resistant
  • You expect good oil-control
  • You expect it to cover blemishes/spots without much layering
  • It stains your foundation brush
  • You have large pores
My rating

2.5/5


Maybelline SuperStay 24H Foundation is priced at PKR 1500 and can purchased online from Just4girls.pk. You can also purchase it from leading superstores nationwide. Folks abroad can find it for $9.99 at Ulta.com and £9.19 at Boots.com.

What do you think about this foundation? Have you tried it?

30 comments :

  1. Thanks for the honest review, it would save a lot of us

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow im in nude shade also.. and perfect for me.. i love this foudation so much..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, this was most awaited review of this season Sara; ever since seeing your haul :) but thankfully you saved my money! Though as you say 'you really wanted to like this foundation'; i also wanted you to come out with a positive review of it lol; but thank you for the honest review;

    P.s: I was already disappointed having seen that Jus4girls.pk didn't have the darker shades in this; but it ends positively :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really wanted to like it because it's an HG foundation for quite a lot of people but I guess, it just didn't work that well for me. I'm glad to help! :) xx

      Delete
  4. This doesnt sound good at all! I always try to stick with matte finish foundations, this doesnt seem like it would suit me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing Sara! I swatched these in store and wondered why you ordered Nude because Sand was the only shade that would suit our yellow olive undertoned skin (incase anyone with dry skin is interested!) Sad to know it doesn't last at all, I'll stick with the Revlon colorstay! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ayesha, I went for it based on the reviews online. Nude seemed the only shade with yellow enough in it to match Asian skin tones but it turned out too peachy for me. Sand looked lighter and more appropriate for someone with NC20-25 skin tone. Yup, ColorStay all the way! :D

      Delete
  6. For some reason Maybelline foundations never satisfied me. Bourjois one looks so much better. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Review, again, its very tough to go to liquid foundation, as it wont gives exact result on oily skin, i have experienced :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh gosh ...i have already bought it 5 days ago from agha's and i dont know what to do now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sumera, don't worry! This is just my experience. It may work well for you! :)

      Delete
  9. Wouldn't suit me wither due to it's inability to control oil but in your picture, I can barely tell the shade doesn't go with your skin tone. Your skin looks very glowy in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, you're right Marib! It does seem like a perfect match in the photo. :D

      Delete
  10. I use the same foundation and like you said it makes my T-zone look so shiny and settles in the pore. Plus, I feel like it turns grey after an hour or two. Was my first investment in a foundation but an utter dissapointment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice and detailed Review Sara it is very helpful for me..I have oily skin and I will stay away from this foundation :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought this would be good as I've read a couple rave reviews on it, but I don't think I'll be picking this up now. lol
    Thanks for the review, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Sara very detailed review but I would tell u one thing when these cosmetic companies are going through the process of making a new products , or new experiments in foundation lines , they never test it on countries like ours. Unless they are based there. Different climates from different countries have complete diff conditions and temperature etc so this foundation must have been tested under the high temperature considered in these countries. Like today was very hot in here (England ) which would be comparing to Pakistan is fairly cold . So different countries summer is different according to them. Again Karachi s hot and humid weather is a tough challenge for any foundation Hun. Same in Lahore where I am from I never ever dared wearing liquid foundation , when I was living there.only compact powder was the option as my skin would sweat alot . But these says I just started with Lancôme and absolutely living it , review will be coming up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shaz, you're right about different climatic conditions but I've tried some drugstore foundations that actually stay put in this whether and don't transfer even though they don't claim to. So that's my point! I review products according to what it claims and tell whether it's true or not but that's my personal experience which of course could be different than anyone else's. Lancome is on my list too. Have heard great things about it! :D xx

      Delete
    2. Prior to buying maybelline dream mousse, i had used lancome
      Teint Idole Ultra 24H Foundation, and the product is worth repurchase but unluckily i didn't get it, else it is best for humid climate, and keeps yr t-zone matte for hpurs and hours without feeling sticky

      Delete
  14. Oh sad it didn't live up to its claims, I'm also on a hunt for a new and better foundation and based on your reviews Bourjois 123 perfect liquid foundation is on my list. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh another foundtaion which wont work for me *sighs*.thankyou for saving my money sara :-P However,it does look good on you even with the wrong undertone etc.Too bad its not made for oily skin.i just dont get the purposr of a foundation which claims to stay 24 hours or so and suits dry skin only...humph.i mean people with dry skin have no issues of makeup sliding off etc.Anyways love the comparison swatch.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your honest review. I personally think your real skin looks more vibrant and bright as compared to when you used this product. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I m using this foundation from one year and i must say it is amazing specially in this hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  18. thank you so much sara for the honest review, i was waiting for this post. will stay away from this as i have oily skin.

    ReplyDelete
  19. the sinking in the pores is such a turn off for us with the oilly skin. Thanks for the detailed and honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for reviewing it dera now I will invest in Catrice infinite matte or Bourjois one :) color stay is for full coverage? I require light to medium coverage only :)
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Huda, ColorStay is not suitable for daily wear IMO since it's too heavy. You can go for Infinite Matt or 123 Perfect for light to medium coverage :) xx

      Delete
  21. i think revlon colour stay is the best..

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment. Your lovely comments make my day. <3

Please avoid rude or inappropriate comments. Also, this is the comments section. No queries will be entertained unrelated to the post.

For queries, please write to info@sarahassansblog.com.

NOTE: Comments with LINKS will NOT be entertained. Thank you. :)